This traditional recipe comes a family in Vietnam, who has been rolling rolls for many years and has many rolls of experience behind them. It is a dish that all Vietnamese people know and love, and is great for socialising around the dinner table amongst friends and family. The kids will have fun making it too.
It is normally eaten as an entree to other dishes, but can be eaten as a main as well. Be sure to find the freshest ingredients available, the Vietnamese herbs make all the difference. Also, the dipping sauce brings everything together, along with the crunchy herbs and vegetables. You can also replace the prawns with pork if you are allergic to seafood. Once you roll a few, you will become a professional in no time, it’s that easy. And healthy too.
Serves 4 Persons
1kg of cooked prawns, shelled and cut in half
Vermicelli (half a large pack)
Large Rice Paper
Lettuce, about half a bunch
Mixture of Asian herbs such as Vietnamese Mint, thai basil, perilla, mint, coriander
Thinly sliced cucumber
1. Peel the prawns and cut them in half through the middle of the body
2. Boil the vermicelli until soft
3. Wash and prepare all the herbs and lettuce, and put into large serving plates
4. When ready to eat, put a bowl of warm water on the table.
5. To prepare the rolls, get a sheet of rice paper, dip it in the warm water and take out immediately. Do not let it soak.
6. Place the rice paper on a plate, and place the lettuce down first towards the bottom half of the paper.
7. Place 3 prawn halves above the lettuce.
8. Place the vermicelli, vegetables, herbs and bean sprouts on top of the lettuce. Don’t be greedy and put too much in, or your wraps will explode.
9. Fold the rice paper over the ingredients, fold the sides into itself, and roll tightly. Eat immediately after rolling.
Peanut Dipping Sauce
4 cloves garlic
4 Tablespoons Hoi Sin Sauce
2 Tablespoons Crunchy Peanut Butter
Chopped Chilli (optional)
1 Tablespoon Milk
1. Fry garlic until golden in some peanut oil.
2. Add Hoi Sin sauce, and peanut butter and milk. Stir until combined.
3. Put into separate bowls for each person